Sunday, December 1, 2013

Author Interview - Genna Rulon


If you are anything like us, we love to know more about our authors.  We like to know what inspires them, how they get their story ideas/characters, or basically, what exactly goes on in that head of theirs.  We've had the privilege of chatting back and forth with Genna Rulon, author of Only For You (we loved it, by the way! Make sure and read our review under the "Reviews" link).  She was so kind to answer a few questions we had for her.  Thank you, Genna!




1. What inspired you to write your debut novel, 
Only For You?

I have been an avid reader for years.  While I read a slew of genres, but romance is my undisputed favorite.  I had worked in corporate America for about 15 years and dreamed of writing my own story, but never really believed I could write a book people would want to buy. An unexpected twist in the road lead to me staying home with my children after my second son was born, and I really started considering the possibility.  I spent a month researching independent publishing, eBook trends, etc, and then said, “What have I got to lose?” and here we are!



2. When did you start this book and how long did it take you to write it?

I started writing Only For You on July 24, 2013.  The complete first draft took me 20 days to write.  I then spent about a month editing, and having a professional editor proofread the book.  It officially launched on September 24, 2013, exactly two months after I sat to write the first page.  Now if you are saying ‘No way Jose,’ I should mention I worked on the book at least 19 hours a day except when my kids needed me  :)



3. When you write, do you prepare an outline first or do you work things out as you write?

It usually begins with a single conversation in my mind, which is when I meet the characters.  Usually it’s at a pivotal moment in the story, so I sit and figure out what brought them to this place and where do they go from here.  When I have a basic plot theme and story line constructed in my mind, I break out my iPad calendar and map out the key events of the story, similar to an outline.  Then I write, and write…and write some more.



4. What is your favorite line(s) from the book?

I have a bunch, but one two always come to mind when I think of OFY, I think they both summarize a central plot line nicely without being spoilers:

"We played hot potato with my heart—me throwing it
to him, him tossing it back to me. Every time the
music stopped, I was always the one holding
my bruised organ."

"You may have experienced a tragedy, but I will not let you become a tragedy."



5. Do you have a favorite character from the book?  If so, what do you like best about him/her?

I adore all of the characters from OFY, they are my grown-up version of imaginary friends.  However, I am in LOVE with Griffin.  He is the perfect blend of caring, insight, and badass.  Plus he looks like a sexy Viking and can play the guitar and sing. *sighs*



6. Are you working on another book?  If so, please tell us about it.

Yes, I am just finishing up with the second book in the For You series titled Pieces For You, which will be released on December 17, 2013.  The second book is Sam's story, her journey, and it begins where Only For You ends...actually there is a small time overlap between the two.  I don't want to be a spoiler, but it would be reasonable to assume that Griffin will play a large role in the book since I <3 him.  You will also get to spend time with Everleigh and Hunter because it was impossible to tell Sam's story without Ev.

Purchase Link - Only For You:   Amazon



No comments:

Post a Comment