Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Review - The Born Trilogy by Tara Brown



16007911  17800756  17926273



I loved this series!  The other half of BF Bookies told me about this author about 2 months ago.  I hadn't read anything by her. What I keep asking myself, is WHY THE HELL NOT??  Our book club featured Born and we all enjoyed this book.  We even made a video for Tara telling her how much we liked it.  

I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this book, as I hadn't ever read anything from this author, nor do I normally read this genre - post apocalyptic.  I was pleasantly surprised!

The world came to an end 10 years ago.  Everyone is fighting to live. 

 “It’s us and them, Em.  There are no regular people anymore.”

I love what Tara does with details – not too much and not too little.  She makes you feel like you are sitting right in the middle of the story, right next to the characters.  She describes everything that appeals to all of your senses;  you can almost smell the things she’s writing about, you can see exactly how things are, you can almost feel the wind blowing in your face or feel how cold the water is, you can hear the high-pitched screams of the infected.  These sorts of details are what I need when I read a book.  They make me feel like I’m a part of the book.  Full of action, plenty of humor, and makes you want to keep turning the pages.  I had to know what was going to happen next. 

I loved the main character, Emma and would definitely want her on my side if the world comes to an end.  I want to be a part of her ‘us’.  She is such a badass and very smart.  Her father died when she was 9, but he had taught her how to be strong and how to survive.  She was sent to survival camp every year when she was younger, so she knew what needed to be done to keep living.

“Don’t help anyone.  Don’t go where other people are unless you have to.  Trust no one.  Always pull the trigger.”

I felt a connection with each of the characters, yes, even Leo (Emma's wolf).  The supporting characters are just as well-written as the main character.  Will:  pissed me off when we first met him.  Then slowly, he began to grow on me.  Very protective, and can kick some serious ass.  I would love to share a tent with him.  Jake:  handsome, funny, protective, all around great guy, even though his survival skills are lacking… quite a bit.  I would love to take a dip with him.  Anna:  young, yet smart, great survival skills, protective.  I would love to have her for a sister.  Leo:  loyal, strong, protective.  I would love to have him for a pet/friend.

I highly recommend these books.   I look forward to reading more from this author.

Each of the three books in this series gets 4 lovely hearts from me.   ~L

No comments:

Post a Comment