Monday, January 7, 2013

Review - Thoughtless by S. C. Stephens

13517535


   

This is a difficult review for me to do. For those of you who know how emotional I am, and how that emotion tends to bleed into my writing, you will understand my reaction to this book. For those of you who don't know me that well..yet :) ..please understand that I speak from my heart and the books I read quickly become a huge part of me. I can't help it, it's who I am. If I find a good book, I get totally absorbed into the characters and story. Because of that, my reviews will be about how a book made me feel, or what emotion I was left with at the end.

Kiera is the main female character in this story and..well..~ I wanted to punch Kiera~ and at times strangle her.. and then be her friend and at times cry with her..(She cries ALOT in this book.. but I would probably be all blubbery too if I had gotten myself into the mess that she did.)
 I can think of alot worse problems to have than having to decided between  a hot Aussie boyfriend, who is totally devoted to you, and  Rock God, who is completely obsessed with you. But as you can guess, it isn't that simple.
Add in bad decisions, heated passion that can't be ignored and secret hook-ups and you have the type of story that kept me cringing at my kindle hoping over and over that the wrong man, or right man or perfect man wouldn't walk in on something I desperately didn't want him to know about. There were times when my stomach was in knots and I had a death grip on my poor little e-reader because I was so afraid that someone was going to get caught doing something! A look, a touch, a kiss... nearly had me thinking I needed something to calm my nerves to continue reading.
The whole time I was reading this book I kept thinking nasty things about Kiera and I really, really wanted to dislike her for giving all of the "good" girls a bad name. But I just couldn't hate her properly. Sure I was mad at her, wanted to slap her, wanted to tell her to quit all her blubbering and make a decision before she totally destroyed these two amazing men.. but I couldn't hate her.
Denny is the most amazing boyfriend on the planet.. seriously..too good to be true. He is kind and calm and loves her unconditionally..even when she is an emotional wreck over Kellan.
And ohhh Kellen.. the messed up, "save me, leave me,don't leave me", bad boy that we all want to love. His devotion kept me in this story even when I wanted to yell bad words at Kiera for being so weak in all of it.
Even with all this attempted disliking going on with me, there is something to be said about having such an emotional reaction to a character that you are actually pushed to frustration. I wanted to dislike Kiera so much, but her character was so well written that I felt what she was feeling. I felt all of  her self loathing for what she was doing to the two men she loved,  the guilt for not being able to decide and her fear that losing even one of them would destroy her and more importantly to her, destroy them. I felt all of that with her. I understood why she waivered, even if I was screaming at her to make a decision. I didn't like Kiera for the same reasons she didn't like herself.
And to me, that is pretty powerful to connect with a character like that. To actually feel what she was feeling and to live her anguish to such a degree that by the end of the book I was actually protective over her, well..that took me totally by surprise. Suddenly Kellan and Denny's devotion to her, that I had cursed all through the book yelling some thing like "Seriously, get away from this crazy girl!", made sense to me.
My bookie Bff asked me if I was going to start Effortless,the second book in the series, and I told her, "Mama needs a break from this story."
But I will read the next book as soon as I come down off my emotional roller coaster, I can't imagine not knowing where this story goes but I have a very strange feeling that it won't be the last time I want to punch Kiera.   ~M



No comments:

Post a Comment