Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Review - Hopeless by Colleen Hoover





One of these days I am actually going to re-think starting a book, that all my girlfriend love, at nine o'clock at night.
I finally made myself go to bed at three thirty am!
No joke!
This is my first book by this author and I am so glad that I started with this one. This will not be my last!
First of all, Holder.. LOVE HIM.. although at times I thought he was a little too "instantly in love" with Sky, I couldn't help but be totally attracted to his loyalty and protectiveness. He is broken in so many ways but knows it. The fact that he admits he is screwed up and makes no excuse for it, makes him very real and relatable.

There were some very "painful" scenes in this book that made me ask myself, what would I do in this situation? When a book is so well written that you can place yourself into that character's life and wonder if you would make the same decision, you have to admit to the fact that you have been totally sucked into their lives.

My heart broke for Sky in this story. When she talked about how she had taught herself to not feel and pretend that she was somewhere else, I could feel her pain. She was strong and real. She put Holder in some very emotionally uncomfortable situations.. but again made no excuses.. and it, again, made me wonder because even though in your head you know it is wrong.. your heart is saying "I get it."

The way the story twisted and unfolded gave you enough to keep turning pages without spilling it all out for you.... until the perfect second. The plot didn't drag or stall at all.. (obviously if I had to force myself to go to bed before the sun came up!)

This is a very emotional story dealing with some very real issues. If you are looking for your typical broken boy meets messed up girl , she cries, he punches people and love happens.. (don't get me wrong.. that is they type of stuff I love to read and write) this may not be the book for you.. BUT even if that is the type of book you are looking for, I encourage you to take a change on this one because believe me, you will not be sorry you read this book!  ~M


No comments:

Post a Comment